Wednesday, May 12, 2010

diamonds on yo GRILLLLL


so--I felt it was necessary to bridge where my Senior collection really came from... It all began last year when I was studying abroad in Lacoste, France. I had the amazing opportunity to travel all around southern France, as well as take a trip to Paris and Barcelona. It was without a doubt the best time of my life, thus far. It was the beginning of what I am really passionate about (although I didn't know it at the time...) While, I was there I was able to take a break from my metals classes, and take a look into a different field--painting. Boy, was it terrifying, I was the only non-major and the only undergrad, talk about intimidation. Here I am sitting like an idiot, in a class full of painting grad students. All I kept thinking to myself was 'I don't know how to paint. (especially not at grad level) I am going to look like a fool!' But then I thought I could use this to my advantage, and somehow influence what I love, JEWELRY! I immediately thought of making paper models and thus it began an entire new collection of work--my 'diamonds on your grill' It was perfect! I always had this bizarre fascination with teeth and mouths and with bling and this was the perfect way to connect the two, and to my luck it turned out to be more than just 'diamonds on your grill' it began a complete series of work that I will hopefully continue to explore!

No comments:

Post a Comment